Monday, May 11, 2009

Slow Day Revs Up

Sat down at 9 seat 100nl where two maniacs were going at each other. I didn't have anything good enough to get into a hand with them, so it was a fairly quiet session until this hand, when the flop gave me set over set. I slowplayed it by check-calling down to the river, then min-checkraising his $20 bet. I didn't think he was that strong - otherwise all of my chips would've been in the middle.

I later played some 100nl on FullTilt, and I flopped the nut str8 the first hand. The big stack bet the pot with a king high flush draw, I flat call, and a third guy raises to $15. Big stack moves in for $100, I call and short stack calls, turn makes flush and he wins $240 pot. That sucked.

I switched back to AP and doubled up with quad deuces vs pocket king overpair in a $200 pot. I played it perfectly, limping in with 22 from the small blind and calling his KK big blind 5x raise. I will almost always call one preflop raise with a small pair if the raiser has enough to justify it (if the raiser's stack is less than about nine times the raise, then the implied odds don't justify the call). I check-called his $10 bet on the 267 flop, then min-checkraised his $28 bet on turned quads. I bet out $30 on a blank river, and he reraised me all in for a dollar or two more (as if I would fold). I can only think that he thought I had either top top or some barely overpair like 88 or 99.

Sat down at 50plo 6 seat, and took out two short stacks at the same time in the first hand. I flopped 2nd set tens on AT7 rainbow. When the first guy raised me from $1 to $5, I figured him for top two pair or a set of 7s - since there was no preflop raise, I didn't put either of them on top set. Some players will limp with AAxx, but you rarely see short stacks doing that. The third guy had top & bottom pair, something that every good Omaha player should be able to fold there.

I busted a short-stack maniac with top-top vs his underpair in this hand. I had seen him make a few plays at pots with weak hands earlier, so when he min-checkraised me and then bet all in on the turn, I figured I was way good.

Later I donked off $40 against a guy I thought was pushing position. I raised 5x from sb w/ AAQQss, he calls with 99xx. I chkd a 9-hi flop, he bet pot $6, and I really thought that he was using position to buy it, so I checkraised the pot, he calls, then calls when I put in the rest. I was tired, made a bad read, pick your favorite excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment